Creativity and design have always been intriguing and somewhat intangible to me. Last fall, I took Graphic Design History which sparked my awareness and imagination. Our final blog post was to write about our inspiration. I've included a few paragraphs from this post at the bottom of the page. These views are the starting point for me this semester.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Economist - Problem Solving/Seeking

Problem Seeking/Solving
I found this photo on the London International Awards LIA website (http://www.liaawards.com).  The LIA awards were established to honor creativity and new ideas in advertising, design, and digital media.  It was established in 1986 in London and quickly grew to a global award.  This was one of the finalist in the billboard category in 2005. 
This billboard is an advertisement for The Economist,  a weekly news magazine which is published in London.  The audience for billboard is prospective readers/subscribers to The Economist.  The typography is a serif style font characteristic of a newspaper or weekly (perhaps Times Roman?).  It is placed in the lower left-hand corner in white  The background color is red which immediately catches the eye.  The 3D light bulb is initially off until someone walks under it and then it lights up.  The implementation and cleverness of the advertisement initially attracted me to the piece.  I really like the idea but what happens if no one is passing beneath the bulb OR if a large crowd is walking past and the text is covered?  I guess it would still attract attention because of the color and 3D bulb.
How does this relate to the topic of the week?  Problem solving/seeking.  A glowing light bulb, above a head, is an iconic image representing creative thinking and problem solving.  The advertisement is counting on the public connecting the bright idea with The Economist magazine.  Read The Economist and be well-informed, be filled with good ideas, be brilliant...  As mentioned in the text, ideas come from many places - some of the strategies idea generation include:
·         Transforming a common object,
·         Studying nature,
·         Observation,
·         Brainstorming,
·         Making connections between ideas
·         Journaling,
·         Collaborative brainstorming,
·         Sketching, and
·         Model making.
I would guess that all of these strategies went into creating this solution (maybe not studying nature).  The thought of creating a connection between a common object (light bulb) or idea (light bulb over a head = great idea) and the magazine is most obvious to me - the notion of  creating a relationship between the light bulb, being brilliant, and reading The Economist. 

4 comments:

  1. I believe that from all the blogs that i read, this is the one where i always find something interesting, and i also learn sometwhing at the same time. I was just thinking that if i lived next to this light bulb, i would be passing by next to it,....over and over all day long.
    I notice that you have a very nice artist quote that was mentioned my Picasso. Its a nice quote, and it makes me think of the importance that art brings to Graphic design.
    I have seen some of your creative art work and your very creative,,.....good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a creative fun way to interact with the public by inspiring action on the viewers part. The Economist hope you'll choose them to interact with. I like creative and clever ads that invite the viewer into the experience. It treats people like they're smart. We've had a run lately of "stupid" ads that we all laugh at but doesn't inspire. The public is entertained more than motivated to move into action. Nice advertisement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like both interactive art and art that makes creative use of everyday objects, and this billboard manages to do both. It's unusual to have an ad that utilizes a 3-D aspect, and that alone would be enough to grab my attention. I quite like the piece as a whole, but I think that the logo at the bottom could have been a bit bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This advertisement is very clever. How could you not remember something like that? But, it sounds like the magazine is meant for someone a little older. I feel that this ad would attract more teens than actual subscribers, because it's so interactive. I have a really hard time picturing my grandparents appreciating this ad as much as I would.

    ReplyDelete