Creativity and design have always been intriguing and somewhat intangible to me. Last fall, I took Graphic Design History which sparked my awareness and imagination. Our final blog post was to write about our inspiration. I've included a few paragraphs from this post at the bottom of the page. These views are the starting point for me this semester.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Introduction

Where were you born? What was your home town like?

I was born in a small, blue-collar community about 80 miles west of Chicago. It was a dreary, industrial, post-World War II community. My dreams were bigger and my parents, although they had no higher education, valued learning.


Tell us about your education. What is your preferred way of learning?

I have a Master’s in Civil Engineering. I worked as a practicing engineer for about nine-years and then went back to school to work on a Doctorate in Statistics. I finished about half my course work but decided not to complete the degree. I taught engineering courses and statistics at the college level. I have always loved taking classes and I am a visual learner. I learn through reading, research, and repetition.


Who is your favorite artist? musician? filmmaker?

Artist: Oh, so many … Georgia O’Keefe – I love her lush imagery, mystical quality, and sense of composition. Edgar Degas, his intimate scenes and beautiful interpretation of dance, have been a part of my life because my daughter is a dancer. For his infinite possibilities and mathematical connection, M.C. Escher has captivated me since I was in college and learned about his amazing body of work.
Musician: Again, hard to choose, but some of my current favorites on my playlist are Josh Radin, Imojean Heap, Missy Higgins, Barenaked Ladies, Nick Drake…
Filmmaker: Christopher Nolan – WOW – suspense, mind-boggling, intense - Insomnia, Memento, Inception.. Spike Lee, poignant social commentary, unbelievable portrayal of characters – Malcom X, Jungle Fever...


Tell us about your computer experience. Rate your comfort level with technology.

I have a good deal of computer experience but not much in the way of graphic design software. I know how to fumble my way around Photoshop… Nearly all of my experience is on a PC but I feel confident that I can learn the Mac format. I’d rate my comfort level as an 8 out of 10.


Attach an interesting photo of yourself and tell us about the picture.

This is a picture of me and my daughter taken this summer in San Francisco.  We went across the Golden Gate to view San Fran from the other side.  My daughter took about 10,000 pictures (a slight exaggeration), from every possible perspective along the ride there and back.  This is one of the few that has a human focal point!



No comments:

Post a Comment